Saturday, May 27, 2006

In Loving Memory

Ronald Douglas Brown
May 23, 1946 - October 01, 1968

Ronald Douglas Brown was born on May 23, 1946 in Geneva Ohio to Louis and Jessie Brown. He graduated from Jefferson High School in June of 1964. He was involved in sports such as wrestling for 2 years, track, football for 2 years and basketball.
He was saved in either his junior high or high school years and about 2 years later he told his wife that he felt like the Lord was calling him to preach. He got married in December 18, 1966. He went to military school after going to Kent State University for 2 years, he was in Fort Benning, GA when he was in Military school.
He was a First Lieutenant when he was told that he was going to Vietnam. He left behind a wife and a newborn son. One of the letters he wrote while he was there told of how much he believed and trusted in what he was doing. This is what the letter said.

"So far, I enjoy being a soldier. It's something that I know I have to do. It's something I am proud of. If freedom to live as you and I want and if freedom for our children and their children is worth having, it's something worth defending. I'm glad I'm doing it because before I felt guilty about enjoying the freedoms without doing one thing to deserve them. Some people call it patriotism, I call it having a conscience. I want our children to grow up and not be prohibited from worshipping God. America is the foundation of spiritual freedom and if America went down to it's enemies, Christianity would be lost. It isn't right that men should have to kill others for the purpose of peace, but it had to be done. I know, God knows, that we have no other choice. He knows that no one wants to kill. "

He had only been in Vietnam one month when he was told to move to the village called Huong Lam where a fire fight broke out. He was wounded in that fire fight, he was shot in the abdomen. Because of the intensity of the battle he was not able to be gotten to. He laid there in the field for 48 hours before someone was able to get to him, by that time he was already gone. He was the first one out of Jefferson Oh. to be killed in the Vietnam War. He died on October 1, 1968.
He was First Lieutenant Ronald D. Brown in Company D, 1st Battalion, 46th Infantry, 198th Infantry Brigade.
His son was only 4 months old when he was killed. His son grew up never knowing his Daddy, only hearing about how his Daddy was a hero. Those that knew him said that he had a warm personality and compassion for his men. He was 22 years of age when he died.
He was awarded the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star along with several other medals. To this day he is well remembered by his wife who told all her memories to her son.
I chose to do this man because this man is a very special man to me.


In Memory Of
Ronald Douglas Brown
MY GRANDPA!!
~Fallen Not Forgotten~
1) He stood beside his daddy And watched the solders marching by It was Veteran's Day and he wondered Why there were tears in daddy's eyes Later they laid flowers Beside a monument of stone He said, My daddy went to fight And didn't make it home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHORUS: Fallen, not forgotten He was a hero He stood so tall And forever, we will remember With honor and glory, He gave his all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2) They left behind their families And the towns where they were born For the rice paddies of Vietnam And the sands of Desert Storm They were soldiers in Korea And World War One And World War Two They paid the price Some gave their lives And they fought for me and you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHORUS: Fallen, not forgotten They were the heroes Who stood so tall And forever, we will remember With honor and glory, They gave their all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bridge: Now freedom is a blessing But freedom has a price And we must remember those Who paid it with their lives.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you did an awesome job kris. from up above i am sure that man is proud to be your grandpa. it is nice that you keep the memory alive.

Jessica said...

That was great Kris. I really enjoyed reading it. I know it must have took a while to put together, but it will be worth it, because it will be something that you can share with your kids someday!!

Anonymous said...

Kristina...you did so good with this. I had no idea how it would turn out but I was weeping in my heart and tears down my face as I read it. You're a blessing and I know your grandpa would be proud of you if he were still alive. But then again...if he were still alive he wouldn't have you for a granddaughter. Great job!!

Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

That was really sweet! I know that you're very proud of him even though you have never met him in person. To die for our country is very heroic indeed!!

Nikki said...

VERY good, Kristina!!! I'm a friend of your Mom's!! My husband is in Iraq serving. Thank you for REMEMBERING!!! It's means alot to me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone who left a comment. I enjoyed looking stuff up about my Grandpa. I learned alot about him through it! I am glad that y'all enjoyed it! Once again...thanks so much!!!
Kristina

Anonymous said...

awww how sweet. what a nice tribute! my husband is in the Army, so that made me kinda sad :(

by the way, this is galaxysteel from blogger. you prob don't know me but I read Courtney and Jessica's journals a lot.

Anonymous said...

Galaxysteel,
I have seen that you comment on Courtney's and Jessica's pages alot. Thanks for stopping by!!

Brittney said...

Wow, Kris, he was quite a man. You did a great job putting all that together. Thanks for telling us about your hero and grandfather.